Losing one or more of your teeth can be a distressing experience, and many patients worry about the aesthetic impacts it will have on their smile—especially in cases where the missing tooth or teeth are prominently visible. However, while the potential cosmetic consequences of missing teeth are relatively obvious, there are also a number of lesser known effects. These can include:
- Movement of the surrounding teeth into the gap left behind by the missing tooth or teeth
- Loss of bite strength and difficulty chewing, leading to a restricted diet
- Increased risk of periodontal (gum) disease, which can increase your risk of developing other conditions, like heart disease and stroke
- Jawbone deterioration, as the tooth root is no longer in place to stimulate tissue growth and retention
- Changes in facial shape as a result of jawbone resorption
Missing teeth can have severe short- and long-term consequences for your overall health, making it important to begin looking into tooth replacement options as soon as possible. Our Buxton dentists offer a variety of restorative dentistry treatments that can be customized to fit your unique needs, restoring the function, health, and aesthetics of your smile.
The “gold standard” treatment for replacing missing teeth is dental implants. This innovative solution replaces the entire tooth structure—including the root—for a stable, durable restoration that helps prevent jawbone resorption. For patients missing all or most of the teeth on one or both of their dental arches, implant-supported dentures can help restore a healthy, beautiful smile using just a few implants to support a denture prosthesis. In cases where a patient is missing one or more consecutive teeth and is either not a candidate for or not interested in dental implants, a traditional dental bridge or removable denture may provide an ideal solution.
If you or a loved one are currently missing a tooth or teeth, we encourage you to contact us today to schedule a consultation. One of our compassionate dentists can discuss the different tooth replacement options with you and formulate a personalized plan for restoring your smile.